Experienced Games User Researchers (UK/Canada)
- Salary: Annual
- Format: Full-time/permanent
- Location: UK Brighton/Canada Montreal
- Reports to: People Manager & Head of Researcher Craft
- Applications close: July 14th 2023
At Player Research we want the world to experience brilliant games; ones full of adventure, surprise and intrigue – the ones you can’t put down, and those you talk about for days.
Across the world we partner with game development teams to realise their creative visions by providing meaningful insight into how real players experience play.
We are the premier partner for games user research. From our Brighton and Montreal studios we design and conduct award-winning UX research for video games: usability testing, expert reviews, engagement diaries, training courses… and so much more.
We work with game developers, publishers, platform owners, incubators, universities… As an external research studio we collaborate far and wide. Around one third of our projects are commissioned by games user research teams inside studios or publishers.
Hundreds of game development studios rely on our insights into usability, UX, appeal, and play.
Our projects come in all shapes and sizes, from testing user interfaces to interviewing super-fans; game console UI, to toys-to-life; AAA full-playthroughs, to rapid expert evaluations for indies. Our consultant researchers are brought to the heart of design decision-making in projects of all types, be that spanning years of development or as one-off strategic research engagements.
We are exceptionally proud of our decade-long reputation for authenticity, transparency and rigour. And we’d love to make you a part of it.
Who do we work with?
Player Research is an exceptional place to work and grow.
Our team are a healthy mix of expert practitioner and academically-trained staff, each bringing unique perspectives and learnings to help us offer rich insight to our client studios, and one another.
We maintain a strong vision, culture and values: rooted in deeply-held trust and empathy among peers, deliberate communication, self-determination, and taking pride in the work we deliver together.
About the role
Your previous experience of commercial games user research means you’re ready for a career ‘turbo-charge’ toward being a world-class individual contributor, a trusted partner, and project manager, to our wide variety of clients and stakeholders. We expect you to demonstrate hard-earned, practical research instinct earned from your prior experience of commercial game development, improving both Player Research’s’ protocols, and offering our clients the very best consultative advice.
All our Games User Researchers deliver smoothly-run and insightful studies that help developers and publishers understand their audience and improve game design. As an experienced GUR you will take on additional responsibilities of research strategy, training of peers, consultancy with high-level client stakeholders, and a leadership role in making all our research super effective.
You’ll lead longform and shortform research studies, advise and plan campaigns of research on high profile titles, and become a trusted ‘single point of contact’ for the leadership of our key partners: helping them map Player Research’s diverse capabilities to their business context.
- You’ll advocate for GUR and advise on research approaches that will deliver actionable and affordable insights, alongside our Client Relations teams and as an individual contributor
- Designing, scoping, managing and executing user research, on time and on budget
- Carrying out user research activities including running large lab playtests, observing usability playtests, writing competitor and expert analyses, remote research studies, desk and secondary research
- Analysing findings and writing compelling, actionable reports
- Presenting findings and research-backed recommendations to clients, to effectively embed user feedback and player-centric design philosophy into their development processes
- Maintaining long term high quality client relationships, being the trusted point-of-contact for advice and consultancy.
- Proactively engaging with client strategy, focusing on campaigns of research and how each project matures understanding and feeds into the format and insight of the next
- Using your initiative to improve our processes for the benefit of colleagues and clients
- Applying continuous improvement of yourself through training, writing, and evaluating video game UX
- Capturing your knowledge in training materials, articles, talks, and mentoring your colleagues. Acting as an ambassador, speaking, writing and educating the world on the importance of games user research
- You’ll have two managers: a People Manager and a global Head of Research Craft, ensuring your professional and technical growth respectively
We are looking for:
- 3+ years’ UR industry experience either in games or mainstream setting OR previous experience in a senior game development role
- We are seeking candidates from diverse educational backgrounds, such as human computer interaction (HCI), psychology, interaction design, or product design. We will review all candidates regardless of university degree (Bachelor’s, Master’s, PhD) or equivalent experience
- You have expertise in research design and a wealth of experience conducting user research across multiple research methodologies
- An understanding of the game development process, & the role & limitations of usability testing at each development stage
- Someone with a passionate interest in video games and applying research techniques to gaming
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in order to build trust and rapport with developers and communicate confidently and effectively
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and be able to work well with cross-functional teams – e.g. game designers, producers, engineers and artists.
We are pleased to offer visa sponsorship to support international applicants for this role, where they have sufficient relevant experience to be eligible for visas. Please identify on your application whether you have an existing right to work in the UK and/or Canada.
- To be eligible for a Canadian visa: three or more years of industry research experience (further information on immigration to Canada)
- To be eligible for a UK visa: Two or more years industry research experience plus professional-level spoken and written English (further information on immigration to the UK).
Please outline your location preference/eligibility in your application.
Location and starting
- For immediate start, but we’re willing to wait for the right candidate
- The candidate can be located in Brighton (UK) or Montreal (Canada) in order to facilitate lab-based research; for those needing to relocate, the timeline and support available for relocation will be discussed according to your individual circumstances and goals
- Our playtest lab is presently closed to in-person research in Montreal, when an appropriate location is identified we plan to resume in-person testing, at which point we are committed to flexible hybrid working practices. In the interim we’re working fully remotely in GMT-5 timezones, and can support remote Researchers
Salary, benefits and perks
- Great salaries, always in-step with games user research pay
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Life assurance plan
- Pension plan
- Income protection plan
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Optional subsidised private medical cover
- State-of-the-art research labs in Brighton and planned for Montreal
- Relocation support for yourself and family
- Region-specific perks and benefits
- Friendly, inclusive teams with a range of interests and activities to join
In addition to base salary we include a modest personal/company performance-based annual bonus.
Brighton and Montreal are each beautiful cities, with vibrant game development communities, and afford a great standard of living.
How to apply
Montreal: Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining your career goals to [email protected]
Brighton: Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining your career goals to [email protected]
If you meet the foundational criteria for both locations, you’re welcome to apply to both positions. Please highlight on both your application emails that you’ve applied to the other also.
The closing date for this role is July 14th. We will confirm receipt of your application, but most applicant communication will occur after the closing date.
We are not accepting CVs from agencies at this time.
We really appreciate the time taken to complete each application. If you haven’t heard from us by July 28th, you should assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. Due to the number of applications received, we are unfortunately unable to give detailed or specific feedback on applications.
We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, parental status, or disability. Player Research doesn’t simply accept differences — we actively celebrate and support it for the benefit of our job applicants, our employees, our services, and our community.
Your personal data
Player Research is strongly committed to protecting your personal information. By sending your CV/Resume, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and consent to your data being managed and retained in accordance with our data privacy and retention policy.
Stand out and be passionate. Good luck.