Experienced Games User Researchers (UK/Canada & Remote Start)
- Salary: Annual
- Format: Full-time/permanent; remote within compatible timezones
- Location: Remote-start with a timeline for relocation to the UK/Canada
- Reports to: People Manager in-region & Head of Research Craft
- Applications close: Sunday 27th February 2022
At Player Research we want the world to experience brilliant games; ones full of adventure, surprise and intrigue – the ones you can’t put down, and those you talk about for days.
Across the world we partner with game development teams to realise their creative visions by providing meaningful insight into how real players experience play.
We are the premier partner for games user research. From our Brighton and Montreal studios we design and conduct award-winning UX research for video games: usability testing, expert reviews, engagement diaries, training courses… and so much more.
We work with game developers, publishers, platform owners, incubators, universities… As an external research studio we collaborate far and wide. Around one third of our projects are commissioned by games user research teams inside studios or publishers.
Hundreds of game development studios rely on our insights into usability, UX, appeal, and play.
Our projects come in all shapes and sizes, from testing user interfaces to interviewing super-fans; game console UI, to toys-to-life; AAA full-playthroughs, to rapid expert evaluations for indies. Our consultant researchers are brought to the heart of design decision-making in projects of all types, be that spanning years of development or as one-off strategic research engagements.
We are exceptionally proud of our decade-long reputation for authenticity, transparency and rigour. And we’d love to make you a part of it.
About the role
We’re looking for experienced games user researchers with a passion for games, psychology and user research to join our teams in the UK and Canada.
Our Games User Researchers ensure the smooth execution of studies that help developers and publishers understand their audience and improve video games. As an experienced GUR you will take on responsibility for project ownership, mentorship of peers, research strategy, consultancy with clients, methodology design and personal specialisation.
Our team are a healthy mix of expert practitioners and ex-academics which brings unique perspectives and learnings to help us grow, and offer rich insight to our client studios.
You’ll benefit from the long-term relationships we’ve forged with our key partners, while also having opportunities to develop fresh relationships with studios taking their first steps in player-centric development.
Player Research is an exceptional place to work and grow.
We maintain a strong vision, culture and values: rooted in deeply-held trust and empathy among peers, deliberate communication, self-determination, and taking pride in the work we deliver together.
Who do we work with?
Game developers, publishers, platform owners, incubators, universities… As an external research studio we collaborate far and wide. You’ll benefit from the long-term relationships we’ve forged with our key partners, while also having opportunities to develop fresh relationships with studios taking their first steps in player-centric development.
Every month we welcome new clients; each places their trust in Player Research to guide their creative vision to deliver commercial success.
Although we collaborate with studios big and small, it’s noted that we choose not to contribute research to certain genres, such as real money gambling, nor adult entertainment games.
- Designing, scoping, managing and executing qualitative user research, on time and on budget
- Carrying out research activities including moderating tests, observing users, analysing findings and writing reports
- Presenting findings and research-backed recommendations to clients, to effectively embed user feedback and player-centric design philosophy into their development processes
- Working alongside our Operations and Client Relations teams as a consultant. You’ll advise on research approaches that will deliver actionable and affordable insights.
- Building toward owning key client relations to be the trusted point-of-contact for advice and consultancy
- Using your initiative to improve our processes for the benefit of colleagues and clients
- Applying continuous improvement of yourself through training, writing, and evaluating video game UX
- Capturing your knowledge in training materials, articles, talks, and mentoring your colleagues Speaking, writing and educating the world on the importance of games user research
- You’ll have two managers: a regional People Manager and a global Head of Research Craft, ensuring your professional and technical growth respectively
We are pleased to offer visa sponsorship to support international applicants for this role. Please identify on your application whether or not you have an existing right to work.:
We Are Looking For
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passionate interest video games and applying research techniques to gaming is essential.
- Previous commercial experience of usability testing is desirable
- Good negotiation and influencing skills and be able to work well with cross-functional teams – e.g. game designers, producers, engineers and artists.
- An understanding of the game development process & the role & limitations of usability testing at each development stage is an advantage but not essential
For our Montreal Applicants
- Those with an existing legal right to work in Canada: One or more years experience in user research.
- Or, those without an existing right to work in Canada: Three or more years industry research experience (further information on immigration to Canada)
Requirements for our Brighton Applicants
- Those with an existing legal right to work in the UK: One or more years experience in user research.
- Or, for those without an existing right to work in the UK: Two or more years industry research experience plus professional-level spoken and written English (further information on immigration to the UK).
If you meet the foundational criteria for both locations, please outline your preference in your application.
Location and Starting
- For immediate start, but we’re willing to wait for the right candidate
- The candidate can be located in Brighton (UK) or Montreal (Canada), post-pandemic
- Our offices and playtest labs in both regions are presently closed to in-person research and will remain so until our teams are comfortable to resume in-person, at which point we are committed to resuming flexible hybrid working practices
- The candidate is anticipated to eventually relocate to Brighton (UK) or Montreal (Canada) in order to facilitate lab-based research; the timeline to achieve this will be discussed according to your individual circumstances and goals
- In the interim we’re working fully remotely in GMT and GMT-5 timezones, and can support remote researchers located in a variety of countries
- Please discuss your circumstances and goals with us.
Salary, Benefits and Perks
- Great salaries, always in-step with games user research pay
- Generous annual leave allowance
- Life assurance plan
- Pension plan
- Income protection plan
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Optional subsidised private medical cover
- State-of-the-art research labs in Brighton and Montreal
- Relocation support for yourself and family
- Region-specific perks and benefits
- Friendly, inclusive teams with a range of interests and activities to join
In addition to base salary we include a modest personal/company performance-based annual bonus, and a host of perks specific to each region.
Brighton and Montreal are each beautiful cities, with vibrant game development communities, and afford a great standard of living.
Visas and Right To Work
In addition to offering this remote role, we are pleased to offer visa sponsorship to support international applicants for this role if they wish to relocate. Please identify on your application whether or not you have an existing right to work in the UK and/or Canada.
Requirements for those without an existing right to work in Canada: minimum three or more years of industry experience (further information on immigration to Canada).
For those without an existing right to work in the UK: minimum two or more years of industry experience, plus professional-level spoken and written English (further information on immigration to the UK).
Montreal: Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining your career goals to [email protected]
Brighton: Please submit your CV and covering letter outlining your career goals to [email protected]
If you meet the foundational criteria for both locations, you’re welcome to apply to both positions. Please highlight on both your application emails that you’ve applied to the other also.
The closing date for this role is Sunday 27th February 2022. We will confirm receipt of your application, but most applicant communication will occur after the closing date.
We are not accepting CVs from agencies at this time.
We really appreciate the time taken to complete each application. If you haven’t heard from us by mid-March 2022, you should assume that on this occasion your application has not been successful. Due to the number of applications received, we are unfortunately unable to give detailed or specific feedback on applications.
We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion (or lack thereof), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, parental status, or disability. Player Research doesn’t simply accept differences — we actively celebrate and support it for the benefit of our job applicants, our employees, our services, and our community.
Your Personal Data
Player Research is strongly committed to protecting your personal information. By sending your CV/Resume, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions and consent to your data being managed and retained in accordance with our data privacy and retention policy.
Stand out and be passionate. Good luck.