Operations Manager, Brighton UK
Competitive salary in Brighton
Applications for this vacancy are now closed
Additionally the recruitment process for this vacancy is currently paused
In light of the uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic situation, we are writing to you with an important update our search for a great person to fill the Operations Manager role at Player Research.
Out of caution Player Research is ceasing 50% of its research methodologies (those requiring in-person contact between staff and/or participants), with immediate effect. This means that the focus of the company has shifted in the short term to compensate for this fact.
As a result we are pausing recruitment for this role until the pandemic has died down. We’d love to be able to give you a timetable, but as we’re sure you’re aware there’s lots of uncertainties at the moment. We’ll do our best to keep you up to date in the meantime.
Player Research is seeking an Operations Manager to help us get better at what we do.
Player Research provide award-winning research services to the video game development industry, world-wide. This role will provide operational support and manage change across our two sites in the UK and Canada. This will be a new role within our growing team.
We are looking to appoint an Operations Manager to provide support to our passionate team, supporting the delivery of our financial and operational objectives, and to facilitate a culture of continuous improvement.
We would like to find someone who wants to own the practicalities of operations in an exciting and dynamic business environment: multinational teams, large premises, varied game development clients with differing needs, and our ambition for happy staff performing the highest quality research. The Operations Manager will be working closely with existing specialist teams inside Keywords – our parent company – including HR, Health and Safety, Contracts, Finance, IT and Information Security.
The role is based in Brighton (UK), though some overseas travel may be required. There is the potential for flexible work once settled into the role. Applicants must have an existing right to work in the United Kingdom.
We are a passionate and impactful company working on some of the biggest and best video games in the world. For more about our great company culture visit: playerresearch.com/careers.
Our newly-refurbished offices are close to Brighton train station.
We will provide training and support to help you grow into this role. You will have responsibilities centred around:
- Take responsibility for the continuous operation of our research premises in Brighton, and support those doing the same in Montreal. Escalate issues effectively to peers and senior management in-region
- Oversee and maintain our existing processes relating to General Data Protection Regulation, to help us ensure GDPR compliance. Training can be provided for applicants without prior GDPR knowledge
- Be the point-of-contact for maintenance contractors, for client invoicing, and for organisational enquiries
- Work closely with our local staff and Keywords HR specialists in supporting recruitment, training, and inductions
- Sourcing and vetting vendors to support our operations, for example assisting in sourcing external recruitment agencies, or security companies
- Create and maintain documentation essential to our business operations
Documentation & Sales Support:
- Compiling and delivering reports on the company P&L, helping the Keywords finance team track KPIs and gross margin targets on a monthly basis, using existing templated reports
- Managing client and vendor invoicing for the business, using our existing processes and support staff
- Be involved in managing petty cash, office supplies and office improvements
- Support the Keywords finance team in documenting and monitoring our income and expenditure of allocated budgets
- Support our sales team through compiling and archiving of sales documentation, branded materials, and travel logistics
Longer term, you’ll work to develop our staff and processes:
- Understand and improve our internal business communications to improve efficiency, transparency and wellbeing
- Automate and mature our existing operational processes wherever possible; test and evaluate new technologies and/or suppliers that can increase the quality, speed and cost-effectiveness of our research
- Work to up-skill our research teams by sharing your project management knowledge to ensure commercial projects are delivered to a high standard
- And growing yourself too – by undertaking other reasonable duties and seeking professional development as opportunities arise, in collaboration with the rest of the company in our close-knit team
This role does not presently include management of direct reports.
We recognise that individual candidates may not have experience in all these areas of business. We’re looking for a self-motivated candidate, with experience in at least some of these areas, and keen to learn and grow. While the core of the role is well defined within the business, there will be significant latitude and opportunity to use your expertise to improve our operations.
Applicants should have:
- At least 2 years experience of similar roles and ‘good practice’ knowledge of operational processes
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, a real collaborator with an operational mindset that drives efficiency across the team while maximising their overall impact
- Excellent interpersonal skills and confidence in communicating with other staff (and if needed, clients)
- A can-do, motivated attitude: looking for personal projects and new experiences, a track record of project ownership, self-determination and independent working
- Strong Microsoft Office/Google Apps for Work/iWork experience (word processing, spreadsheets, presentation, project management, scheduling software, and any more useful to you and your work)
- Be comfortable taking on new, ambiguous or changing requirements and turning them into a process that others can buy-into and use
Applicants must have an existing right to work in the UK
Non-essential applicant skills:
- Experience of company process design
- Track records of managing budget in a flexible, accountable way, including reporting
- Enhanced project management skills gained through formal qualifications or experience
- Experience of working with international teams across differing time zones
- Knowledge of product development, R&D, or principles of research
- Any other skills or proficiencies relevant to the operational management or growth of a business
- Knowledge of video games or the game development process is not a requirement, but general interest in video games is a strong benefit; you will working in a company of people who are all very passionate about video games
By joining Player Research, you’ll be making a huge impact, not only facilitating the smooth running and growth of our business, but also in helping us build a fantastic company for us all to work together. You will be working in a relaxed atmosphere within our friendly team of passionate people who want to do the best possible work.
There is the potential for flexible work once you’re settled into the role.
Salary is competitive and will reflect your experience.
- Life insurance
- Optional private medical care
- Newly-refurbished office space
- Office video game library
- Team days out …and more!
If you would like to apply for this role please submit a CV and covering letter to applications now closed.
No CVs from agencies.